[Cryptography] Crypto Books, 2017

Richard Outerbridge outer at interlog.com
Sun Jun 11 23:49:19 EDT 2017

> On 2017-06-11 (162), at 17:51:34, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
>> I would have imagined some loud opinions here. :)
>>
>> So asking again: if you're teaching cryptography to rank beginners these
>> days, what are the books that people prefer?
>
> OK, I'll stick my head out.  When you mention Schneier, is that the 1st or
> the 2nd edition?
>
> And there's "Handbook of Applied Cryptogaphy" by Menezes et al, but it's
> fairly heavy going.

2nd, puhhlease.  The 1st is so littered with egregious errata it’s embarrassing.

Also HAC is available online, with its own errata too.  Stinson 3rd is thorough, but advanced,
and apparently an new edition is imminent.  You could do worse than starting with one or
two weeks of Elementary Cryptanalysis by Sinkov and/or the same title by Gaines et al.
__outer