[Cryptography] Crypto Books, 2017

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Mon Jun 12 00:49:36 EDT 2017

On 6/12/17 at 2:51 PM, dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall) wrote:

>>I would have imagined some loud opinions here. :)
>>
>>So asking again: if you're teaching cryptography to rank
>>beginners these days, what are the books that people prefer?
>
>OK, I'll stick my head out.  When you mention Schneier, is that
>the 1st or the 2nd edition?
>
>And there's "Handbook of Applied Cryptogaphy" by Menezes et al,
>but it's fairly heavy going.

I learned cryptography from Schneier E2. When I started writing
code, I needed to use the Handbook as well.

I would think that for implementors, knowing about attack
methods is even more critical than knowing about all the
algorithms. Attack methods have grown since the 1990s, with
timing and power analysis being proven practical. Implementors
need to know about these methods and defenses against them.

On the other hand, for people analising crypto systems, knowing
about the major algorithms and their families, may be more important.

What are these students supposed to learn?

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | When it comes to the world     | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | around us, is there any choice | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | but to explore? - Lisa Randall | Los Gatos,
CA 95032