[Cryptography] stego mechanism used in real life (presumably), then outed

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Jun 8 21:11:17 EDT 2017

On 06/08/2017 02:23 PM, Richard Outerbridge wrote:

> What if it were to be applied to the texts of received texts, like ”The Gold Bug”?
>
> Would it come out the same, each time, every time?

Oh, wait.  I think maybe you asked a simpler question than the one
my first message answered.

Given the same IV (serial number) and the same source document, the
same output would be reliably produced.  Given a different IV and the
same source document, there'd be several differences in sentence
structure per page in the output.

But in the most useful and reliable (IMO) direct implementation,  you
should get the same output text given the same IV regardless of whether
the input is the original or the result of processing the original with
some other serial number.

So the savvy leaker who knows the system is in use and gets their hands
on the program could obscure the source of the leak by reprocessing it
with a different IV.

Like all stego, it only works reliably if the opponent doesn't know it's
there.

				Bear