[Cryptography] Anyone interested in a cheap security module for Raspberry Pi?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 22:47:43 EDT 2017

I am a fan of the Cryptech project
<https://www.crowdsupply.com/cryptech/open-hardware-security-module>, but
the alpha boards are pricey.  I also am a fan of the low cost open SC4-HSM
<https://sc4.us/hsm/>, but I am interested in devices with better physical
security.

I think I could build a fairly cheap daughter board for the Raspberry Pi
using the NXP Kinetis K81
<http://www.nxp.com/docs/en/fact-sheet/KNTSK8XFS.pdf>.  I am interested in
algorithms for enhanced security using cooperating networks of security
modules, and this chip looks like a winner.  The Raspberry Pi would be used
for encrypted data storage and to run network protocols, while the Kinetis
K81 would physically secure the data's privacy, do the crypto, and
attestation.

The K8 microcontroller is about $11.  The rest of the parts might add up to
another $3, and another $2 for the board.  If Macrofab
<https://macrofab.com/> continues the success they showed with my build of
three TRNG boards, then I would expect the total price from them to be
maybe 60% over the part cost, which in this case might be around $25.
People could justify selling them for probably the $50 range.

Would something like that be of interest to anyone else?

Bill