[Cryptography] Raspberry Pi-like FPGA ??

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 17:45:13 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 7:02 AM, Henry Baker <hbaker1 at pipeline.com> wrote:

> Does anyone sell a cheap, easy-to-experiment with, FPGA?

It depends on your definition of cheap and easy.  AFAIK, this is the
cheapest FPGA
<https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lattice-semiconductor-corporation/ICE40UL640-SWG16ITR50/220-1961-1-ND/5155600>,
and you can get one for $1.50.  It has only 640 LUTs, though, so it is too
small for crypto.   This FPGA
<https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lattice-semiconductor-corporation/LFE5U-12F-6BG381C/220-2099-ND/6173736>
seems large enough for some real crypto (12K LUTs), for $6.26.  I don't see
any nice USB dev-board for it, though.

A more mainstream FPGA might be this Xilinx Zynq FPGA
<https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/xilinx-inc/XC7Z007S-1CLG400C/122-2008-ND/6593131>
for about $50.  I don't like the high price tag, but the dev board looks
awesome at $89, and the 25K logic cells should be enough for some real
crypto.

Bill