[Cryptography] Five Eyes Bent On Killing Crypto

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sun Jul 16 17:52:41 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 10:52 AM grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/06/australia-to-target-encrypted-messaging-apps-at-upcoming-security-meeting/
>
> https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/five-eyes-stress-sharing-information-to-battle-relentless-terrorist-plots/article35486286/
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2017/06/five-eyes-unlimited
>
> This week, the political heads of the intelligence services of Canada,
> New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States (the
> "Five Eyes" alliance) met in Ottawa.  The Australian delegation
> entered the meeting saying publicly that they intended to "thwart the
> encryption of terrorist messaging."

> What might their plan be? Is this yet another attempt to ban
> encryption? A combined effort to compel ISPs and Internet companies to
> weaken their secure products? At least one leader of a Five Eyes
> nation has been talking recently about increasing international
> engagement with technology companies — with a list of laws in her back
> pocket that are already capable of subverting encryption,

How do they intend to continue to thwart criminal activities.
These encryption tools and processes were installed to thwart criminals
from victimizing individuals, companies and nations.

At best eliminating encryption would improve after the fact vengeance and
prosecution.  At worst it would allow the use of weakly secured channels to
be used to hide the identity of real terrorists and cause law enforcement
to think they arrested the correct individuals and falsely imprison or
execute them with an "armed and dangerous" arrest warrant or drone strike.

>From my information bubble view criminal and national (CIA, Russian)
hacking are indistinguishable from each other and in many cases share
resources via dark web financial interactions if not management and
guidance.
The maps of these actions and groups like old time maps.. "there be
dragons."

--
I be mobile, excuse my tipping!