[Cryptography] [FORGED] Attackers will always win, and it's getting worse!

Jason Richards jjr2 at gmx.com
Fri Jul 14 23:51:58 EDT 2017

Peter Gutmann:
> I don't know whether using an FPGA can strictly be described as
> "hardware" any more.
>
> Programmable crypto hardware does have the significant advantage that
> the crypto device is non-sensitive until the algorithm is loaded into
> it, and one piece of hardware can do many jobs.

If the hardware is classified as non-sensitive then it will be
protected accordingly, which could mean that it won't have had the
appropriate protections once it has had the algorithm loaded and
therefore has been reclassified.

It should really be classified according to what it will or could or is
likely to be used for.

Of course I'm assuming that people actually take notice of a thing's
classification ...