[Cryptography] Checkoin: physical crypto-cash

Camille Harang mammique at garbure.org
Fri Jul 14 17:28:42 EDT 2017

Hi all, my name is Camille, I'm a senior software developer, as well as
freedom, privacy, and economical independence advocate. As a response to
the war on cash I have drafted a protocol allowing to create secure and
decentralized cash, physically carrying (or backed by) valuable assets.
Basically, it allows to manufacture physical packagings (containing
sealed assets), and exchange them safely from hand to hand between
untrusted people. The protocol authenticates the packaging integrity as
unique, non-duplicated, not counterfeited, not tampered with, not
unsealed, etc. thanks to several layers of verifications*. Until someone
decides to retrieve the asset by unsealing it, thus tossing/destroying
the packaging. It was first designed to exchange crypto-currencies cold
wallets like cash, but in practice it can carry any other type of
valuable information or transportable assets (gold nugget, medicine,
coupon, organic seeds, etc.). It is anonymous (no end-user
identification, no transaction, no wallet), network failure/censorship
resistant, open source and decentralized. The packagings manufacturing
is not part of the protocol, but left to the innovation of whomever aims
to run such a business (crypto startups, precious metal minters, etc.).
I've looked for people to review it, but hardly could find any with
skills and/or time to do so. Yesterday a friend of mine suggested me
this mailing list, so I try my luck in the hope of finding help for
reviewing, strategy advise and means to implement it.

Here is the website: https://checkoin.org/

Thank you very much,

Freely,

Camille.

* The technical aspect needs to be understood in details and as a whole.
But I know that it is repulsive and tedious, so I try here to synthesize
the basics. There are three main layers of verifications, first one is
geolocation (non mandatory, anonymous and optionally encrypted) in order
to detect duplicate UUID in circulation (distance and time would become
inconsistent, so the packaging identified as corrupted), second layer is
the display of information about the packaging provided by the
manufacturer (e.g. hologram check information, high resolution of the
packaging when manufactured with unique details such as random paint
splashes, etc.) and third layer is an optional cryptographic check if
the package comes with a microchip (recommended for packagings carrying
high value assets) which retrieves the public key of the microchip on
the blockchain and asks it to sign random data with the private key
present in the chip.