[Cryptography] Creepy correlation noted

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Fri Jul 14 12:38:11 EDT 2017

At 07:46 AM 7/13/2017, John Levine wrote:
>In article <E1dVRn8-0007Xe-P9 at elasmtp-masked.atl.sa.earthlink.net> you write:
>>So unless someone across the street is reporting my presence in real
>>time, I'm pretty sure that my ISP is the culprit.
>
>How would they even know what your phone number is?
>
>Where is this sekrit live sucker feed?
>
>How do I sign up for it?
>
>Why does no marketer I have ever met know about it?

Even creepier: the correlation seems to also extend to my cellphone, which might provide additional evidence for the culprit.

BTW, my email is well-known, and my land-line phone number is published, so any marketeer has easy access to both.

Obviously, my cellphone carrier knows where I am, so it would be trivial for them to sell my location.

Google usually knows where I am, because it can correlate my searches with my IP addresses.

My TV provider knows when I'm at home, because settop boxes let them know every TV remote click that I make.

My electricity provider knows when I'm home, because they just installed a 'smart meter' precisely for the purpose of spying on me.

My gas provider knows when I'm home, because they also installed a 'smart meter'.

Most of my cellphone apps know where I am, and they all sell every bit of information that they can get their hands on.

So yes, I'm saying that someone is marketing my location & timing information so as to better target scam phone calls, among other things.

It should be possible to use the "internet of things" to start selectively spoofing ("gaslighting") these various channels to find the more precise correlations.