[Cryptography] [FORGED] Attackers will always win, and it's getting worse!

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Thu Jul 13 07:10:55 EDT 2017

On 13/07/17 05:45 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> writes:
>
>> It's interesting that the NSA has historically concentrated on hardware
>> implementations of complete cryptosystems.
>
> I don't know whether using an FPGA can strictly be described as "hardware" any
> more.
>
> Programmable crypto hardware does have the significant advantage that the
> crypto device is non-sensitive until the algorithm is loaded into it, and one
> piece of hardware can do many jobs.

<humour> Ah! A constructive post from and by Peter. </humour>

The problem with this model is that the integrity of the loaded
algorithm implementation (and the loading media) is very hard to support
by sufficient evidence.

You then need a trusted compiler engine to create the loading media. And
you start all over again. Crypto only shifts controls ...

- Thierry