[Cryptography] gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Sun Jul 9 10:41:54 EDT 2017

On 07/09/2017 04:56 AM, Peter Gutmann wrote:

>> And you're being sued [...]
>
> And when has that ever happened?

"LinkedIn settled for $1.25 million in 2014."  Reference:
  http://www.reuters.com/article/cyber-attack-liability-idUSL2N1II00N

> the one that actually occurs:
>
> "Oh, you security geeks are always whining about something or other.  We've
> been shipping these things for 20 years without any problems.  Besides, you've
> just told me the problem is more or less unsolvable, so there's nothing we
> could do even if we wanted to".

Then I reply to that customer:

Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble.  That's the noise a thanksgiving
turkey makes.  I find it odd that when you were in school they
never made you read Nassim Taleb.
  http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5474a6536bb3f7b2528b4567-800-600/turkey%20taleb.png

Oh well, I've given you my analysis, and you've given me yours.
Evidently they differ.  Like I said, it's your choice.

If you get hacked, I hope it's not expensive, Mr. Karpelès.

I hope none of your subscribers commit suicide, Mr. Biderman.

I hope nothing bad happens, Ms. Clinton.