[Cryptography] OpenSSL CSPRNG work

Mark Steward marksteward at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 09:42:56 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:42 AM, Nemo <nemo at self-evident.org> wrote:

> Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> writes:
>
> > * Theodore Ts'o:
> >
> >> The only thing you can do is what getrandom(2) does, which is block.
> >
> > That's a non-starter because it would halt the boot process.  In the
> > futrue, we will need something like arc4random during process
> > initialization.  And if we block there, the system will never proceed
> > to the point where it generates more entropy.
>
> Wait, so you are adding a function with the same (ill-chosen) name as
> the BSDs, but giving it subtly different and less secure semantics?

I'm interested in what it will be needed for in the future. Why would glibc
need large amounts of good quality random shortly after first boot, in a
scenario where the owner can't provide randomness in advance?

If good randomness is really becoming critical to early startup, does it
make sense to treat it like a broken filesystem and explicitly halt?

Mark