[Cryptography] HSM's to be required for Code Signing Certificates

Thierry Moreau thierry.moreau at connotech.com
Sun Jan 29 11:02:38 EST 2017

On 28/01/17 08:44 PM, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 1/27/17 at 12:52 AM, pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz (Peter Gutmann) wrote:
>
>> The interface to an HSM, at least for
>> signing purposes, is "perform a private-key operation on this short byte
>> string" (a.k.a. "sign this hash").  That's it.
>
> It seems to me one could build a HSM auditor which passively monitors
> the interface to the HSM and records the time of every signing
> operation. If the communication between the computer and the HSM is in
> the clear, more information could be recorded, but just the time the
> signing operations are performed would provide a useful audit trail.

This (or the mere count of digital signature operations performed during
an HSM session, reported in a trustworthy way) is actually missing from
the most readily documented HSM deployment project, the DNSSEC root KSK
signature ceremonies held by IANA on a regular basis.

Ha!

The evil is in the details! Believe me, or look at

https://data.iana.org/ksk-ceremony/

- Thierry