[Cryptography] Oracle discovers the 1990s in crypto

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 17:34:18 EST 2017

Den 22 jan 2017 23:27 skrev "John Levine" <johnl at iecc.com>:

But I'm wondering how real the MD5 threat is in practice.  Java JAR files
are ZIP files containing a manifest that lists the other files and can
contain signed hashes of the other files.  So I can see how I could generate
a collision and replace one of the other files with garbage, which might
crash a poorly debugged Java implmentation.  But how likely is it that I
could replace one of the other files with a different Java program?

http://www.mscs.dal.ca/~selinger/md5collision/

>From 2006, and since then there's even been multicollision multifiletype
hash collision generators with GPU acceleration and more.

You can trivially generate valid files with colliding hashes.