[Cryptography] Smart electricity meters can be dangerously insecure, warns expert

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 5 07:04:14 EST 2017

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie> writes:

>On 05/01/17 02:17, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>> no-one who just cares about a straightforward secure
>> pipe from A to B with a design spec with a 10-20 year lifetime that fits in
>> with existing deployed devices.
>
>That's a really unfair characterisation and there is no way in which you can
>somehow know what all of the hundreds of people who read or participate on
>the TLS list actually care about.
>
>Your criticism that TLS and HTTP evolution may be too influenced by the web
>has some merit, but you destroy your own argument by including the nonsense
>above.

I am not aware of anyone who works in embedded who still actively contributes
to the TLS list.  I am aware of several people who read it but don't
contribute any more (we occasionally exchange emails off-list), for the
reasons I gave in my post.

If you're aware of an active contributor from the embedded/SCADA space, please
let me know.

Peter.