[Cryptography] Smart electricity meters can be dangerously insecure, warns expert

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 2 23:37:13 EST 2017

Arnold Reinhold <agr at me.com> writes:

>But we know from the links you supplied previously that companies with
>serious technical competence, like BT, are eager to supply this market.

They're just eager to make money.  Both examples I gave were meant to
illustrate how totally unrealistic the "solutions" that vendors were
presenting to power companies were.  And while I would trust BT to provide
internet and phone service, I sure wouldn't use them to run a smart-meter PKI.
In fact a PKI is about the last thing I'd use for smart meters ("and now you
have two problems").  For ready-made off-the-shelf solutions, LoRa would be a
pretty good start in that area.

Peter.