[Cryptography] Smart electricity meters can be dangerously insecure, warns expert

Steve Furlong demonfighter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 12:11:22 EST 2017

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 8:10 AM, Wendy M. Grossman <
wendyg at pelicancrossing.net> wrote:

> Ross Anderson has written a great deal about this. In his view, I
> believe the biggest risk is that hackers can crash the grid by turning
> the meters all off at once, from where it would take the Uk sevveral
> weeks to recover.

Do you have a cite for that last claim? The first ten Google matches for
"ross anderson smart meters" didn't contain the words "restore" or
"recover", nor "week" in this context. I'm not doubting what you say, but
would like to refer to it in my own arguments for caution in smartifying
every item in our lives.

--
Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet. -- Arnaud-Amaury, 1209