[Cryptography] Smart electricity meters can be dangerously insecure, warns expert

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Sun Jan 1 18:08:05 EST 2017

On Sun, Jan 01, 2017 at 04:51:42PM +0000, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> No.  They're built to be as cheap, compact, and low-power as possible.  All
> they are is a minimal switchmode power supply powering an SoC with some power
> sensing capabilities and a radio modem.  Adding heavy-duty power control
> circuitry capable of switching, potentially, three-phase power, or at the
> least several tens of amps (so thousands of kVA) of single-phase power, isn't
> going to happen.

It's usually a lot more than "several tens of amps".  A single circuit
is typically 15 amps in Canada/USA, and a house may have 10 to 20 of these.
My home in Canada (built/wired in the 1980s) has a 200-amp service entrance.
Power-switching for that would require some hefty hardware.

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg <jthorn at astro.indiana.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA