[Cryptography] Smart electricity meters can be dangerously insecure, warns expert

Allen allenpmd at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 08:10:28 EST 2017

> Oh, come on.
>
> A smart electric meter provides a way to read electricity used remotely.  It might, I suppose, have a way to shut off
> current remotely - but I rather doubt it - how often do electric companies need to cut off the power to a subscriber?

I'm glad to hear that in your experience it is almost inconceivable
that someone is unable to pay their electric bill, but in the real
world, this happens all the time.

Here for example are residential disconnect stats for Australia

https://www.aer.gov.au/retail-markets/retail-statistics/2016-17-q1-residential-customers-disconnected-for-non-payment-by-retailer

And here's a table that says the State of Iowa has about 6000
involuntary disconnects per months.

https://iub.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/files/records_center/residential_data/MY2015/10_October2014.pdf

I'm sure similar stats are available for other jurisdictions if you
start looking.