[Cryptography] Open source encrypted file system for cheap IoT device?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 13:30:24 EST 2017

Den 28 dec. 2017 18:58 skrev "Henry Baker" <hbaker1 at pipeline.com>:

Why is this so hard?

IoT = very cheap, very low power, very small memory.

As I said, I want to access files on a uSD card or a USB stick,
so the encrypted file system is on a *passive* device.

I want to be able to do this from either the $10 device (not as
powerful as a Raspberry Pi, because Pi's take too much power),
or a larger machine -- e.g., Linux/MacOS/Windows.

FYI, to access it both from PC and the IoT device, there's three main
options;

1: Make the device the interface to the storage, which requires emulation
of a FAT32 filesystem or similar protocol that all three major operating
systems supports. This may be too much for a tiny microcontroller, or just
too slow. You'll need a somewhat powerful CPU in your device to handle this
well if you have megabytes of data, close to an RPi.

2: Use a memory card with a FAT32 filesystem, put an encrypted container on
it, which can be read from a PC with usermode software. Adds some overhead
during normal use.

3: Use an encrypted filesystem on a memory card, cry salty tears over the
file system drivers you'll need to install on Windows / Linux / Mac to make
it work.

Only #2 is practical if you want it really cheap, but I would prefer #1.