[Cryptography] Current State of Mailing Lists / Forums about Internet Freedom, Security and Privacy?

Ralf Senderek crypto at senderek.ie
Wed Dec 27 13:47:43 EST 2017

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017, BM-2cXCAVedtJwvdVXg9HeMPZp8k5UAakzTMs at bitmessage.ch wrote:
> --snip --  Many are also prefer a private Off-the-record talk over a
> public debate, prefer small private groups with encryption over big open
> space.

It's my experience that some posts to this list resulted in a very
fruitful OFF-list conversation that in many cases lead to substantial
improvements of projects I worked on. But the subsequent request for
comment on these results were too often greeted with ignorance here.

I suppose the underlying problem is, that in this day and age, a consensus
on what constitutes a "solution" to a problem is no longer achievable.
There are holes and pitfalls everywhere and people putting their effort
into one specific project may be seen as following the wrong track as
they - as everyone else - are forced to rely on building blocks that can
be regarded as suspicious. There is no common ground any more, nor any
idea to agree on a way forward, that could claim any degree of promising
success.

    --ralf