[Cryptography] Bitcoin theft and the future of cryptocurrencies

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Dec 26 20:51:24 EST 2017

On 12/27/2017 6:04 AM, Karl wrote:
> On 12/26/17, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Coinjoin, Monero, swaps... all just mixes.
>> Zerocash... cryptographic privacy.
>
> The new hot "anonymous cryptocurrency" people discuss is
> MimbleWimble/Grin.  I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it.

Last I heard, MimbleWimble was an idea, not yet a cryptocurrency.

Pretty cool idea ... but:

Suppose HHitler puts a wallet address on his website, and asks for
donations.

Ann sends a donation from her coinbase wallet.  The true name associated
with he wallet is known to the authorities.

Seems to me that the authorities, monitoring the MimbleWimble
blockchain, will be able to tell that Ann gave a donation to HHitler,
even though they cannot tell how much.

MimbleWimble greatly reduces the storage problem, but not obvious that
is solves the bandwidth and speed problems.