[Cryptography] Delaware allows blockchain stock registry

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Wed Dec 20 23:16:25 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

> This piece showed up today, about a change in Delaware law that allows
> corporations to keep their stock register on a blockchain.  Since
> Delware is the most popular US state to incorporate, I expect we'll be
> seeing a few.
>
> It notes:
>
> " ... only the possessor of the correct cryptographic key can deal
> with the shares and assign them to a third party. Once the third party
> is registered as owner, then only that third party can subsequently
> deal with them. And so on."
>
> I wonder what happens when you lose your key.  You can never sell your
> shares?
>
> https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=074cca1e-b195-4018-8386-
> c325639612bd&utm_source=Lexology+Daily+Newsfeed&utm_
> medium=Plain+text+email&utm_campaign=Lexology+subscriber+
> daily+feed&utm_content=Lexology+Daily+Newsfeed+2017-12-18&utm_term=

​Easy to solve with foresight. Impossible to otherwise.

The problem will be solved in the general case as it is obviously not going
to work for the stock exchanges otherwise.

A more interesting question is why a blockchain backed by busywork mining
that is essentially worthless should be worth more than one backed by an
actual company, no matter how lame.

Comparison to things we know the value of is usually the best approach to
valuing things we don't understand the value of.

Though the value of Tesla which is apparently worth more than the rest of
the automobile industry combined...​