[Cryptography] Rubber-hose resistance?

Matt Palmer matt at hezmatt.org
Tue Dec 19 19:22:10 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 06:15:32PM +0000, Howard Chu wrote:
> Peter Gutmann wrote:
> > I cross borders with a wiped-clean laptop and scp in anything
> > work-related that I need once I get there.  That seems to be a common strategy
> > among IT-savvy travellers who are worried about travelling with
> > NDA'd/commercially sensitive material.
>
> I do this too. But just out of curiosity, what do you use for ssh
> credentials when traveling?

One freshly generated key, which accesses an otherwise "clean" account (on a
DO droplet or whatever) that contains an encrypted (with a suitable
passphrase) bundle of temporary keypairs to anything I might *need* to
access.  Anything that I can get away with not being able to access for the
duration of the trip I just don't have access to.  Nuke all the temporary
keys at the end of the trip.  $DEITY-bless configuration management.

- Matt