[Cryptography] Rubber-hose resistance?

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 19 07:41:35 EST 2017

Jon Callas <jon at callas.org> writes:

>I had a wonderful conversation with a customs agent in New Zealand. I asked
>about TrueCrypt and he said, "Oh, we just ask you for the second password."

Yup.  Law enforcement can read manuals just like everyone else.  Using a
"plausible deniability" cryptosystem actually makes things worse because it's
waving a huge red flag at them telling them you're trying to hide something
(that's from talking to actual law enforcement people who investigate this
sort of stuff).  I don't use Truecrypt when I'm travelling specifically
because of this, I cross borders with a wiped-clean laptop and scp in anything
work-related that I need once I get there.  That seems to be a common strategy
among IT-savvy travellers who are worried about travelling with
NDA'd/commercially sensitive material.

Peter.