[Cryptography] Bitcoin theft and the future of cryptocurrencies

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Dec 15 17:25:07 EST 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Thierry Moreau <
thierry.moreau at connotech.com> wrote:

> On 13/12/17 06:06 PM, John Levine wrote:
>
>> In article <20171213102142.GC856 at sivokote.iziade.m$>,
>> Georgi Guninski  <guninski at guninski.com> wrote:
>>
>>> If your bitcoin wallet is compromised, all your bitcoins are gone

> FYI, Canada LVTS (Large Value Transfer System) is a system where payments
> are "immediately final and irrevocable.

I suspect LVTS is different enough remove from a comparison.

Since both ends of the transfer are known a transfer in error can be
corrected with a second LVTS.
Perhaps with litigation...
And: The number of players is small:  "As of 2014, there were 16
institutions, including the Bank of
Canada participating in LVTS" per WP.

Bitcoins are not 100% anonymous but close enough and fast enough to
require analysis
that may not fully disambiguate the players.    Yes the IRS is working to
discover tools for tracking.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l