[Cryptography] High volume thermal entropy from an iPhone

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn4242 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 20:06:11 EST 2017

> We have theoretical reason to believe that the dark signal from a phone camera is thermal noise.

Doing SecureCryptoHash(dark frame) is the easy part.

The hard part is convincing yourself that that "dark frame" (which you
just got from some  ReadRawImage API is really "the dark signal" and
hasn't been processed either "helpfully" (i.e., in ways which would be
"helpful" for a typical phone picture) or maliciously.

We're doing crypto, so we have to assume malicious adversaries about.
(After all, if there weren't malicious adversaries about, we could
just take AES(key=counter++, data=0xdeadbeef) for randomness.)  That
means we need to worry about all the layers of software & firmware
that lie between our crypto code and the bare hardware.