[Cryptography] Rubber-hose resistance?

Michael Nelson nelson_mikel at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 5 15:32:26 EST 2017

On Thu Nov 30 19:28:09 EST 2017 grarpamp wrote:

> And Truecrypt is dead and with holes since years.

What's the current thinking on this? I use an old Truecrypt. As I recall, the weaknesses in it were somewhat rarefied. It might leave some key-related stuff hanging around in memory, or if you go out of the room to get coffee then the attacker can pull out the plug as she drops the pc into liquid helium at 4 deg K then get down to work, etc.

These are real attacks that apply in some circumstances. But for me, I'm only concerned with when I've pulled out my USB stick with the tc executable and volume on it, and shut down the computer, and left the house.

Anything that applies to that simple situation? E.g., backdoors in the code? I thought that the code had been looked over by some decent people, but I'm out of date. Thx.

Mike