[Cryptography] How to find hidden/undocumented instructions

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Aug 28 22:46:16 EDT 2017

In article <r470Ps-10126i-1F85C98072EA4DA9B5A611AF331FF888 at Williams-MacBook-Pro.local> you write:
>I never saw, or heard of this machine check occurring in real
>life, but you could, in theory, write a program to crash a 370
>in a way that was supposed to be impossible to do from a program.

A machine check doesn't crash a 360 or 370.  It's an exception which
interrupts, and the operating system does whatever it does, presumably
kill the running program since there's no way to recover.

You can kill your own program but there are lots of ways to do that.

R's,
John