[Cryptography] fyi: crypto Framework for Cloud File Systems and CryFS, a Provably-Secure Construction

=JeffH Jeff.Hodges at KingsMountain.com
Mon Aug 21 11:34:09 EDT 2017

a possibly interesting data point...

[ePrint Report] A Novel Cryptographic Framework for Cloud File Systems
and CryFS, a Provably-Secure Construction
Sebastian Messmer, Jochen Rill, Dirk Achenbach, Jorn Muller-Quade
http://eprint.iacr.org/2017/773

Using the cloud to store data offers many advantages for businesses and
individuals alike. The cloud storage provider, however, has to be
trusted not to inspect or even modify the data they are entrusted with.
Encrypting the data offers a remedy, but current solutions have various
drawbacks. Providers which offer encrypted storage themselves cannot
necessarily be trusted, since they have no open implementation. Existing
encrypted file systems are not designed for usage in the cloud and do
not hide metadata like file sizes or directory structure, do not provide
integrity, or are prohibitively inefficient. Most have no formal proof
of security. Our contribution is twofold. We first introduce a
comprehensive formal model for the security and integrity of cloud file
systems. Second, we present CryFS, a novel encrypted file system
specifically designed for usage in the cloud. Our file system protects
confidentiality and integrity (including metadata), even in presence of
an actively malicious cloud provider. We give a proof of security for
these properties. Our implementation is easy and transparent to use and
offers performance comparable to other state-of-the-art file systems.