[Cryptography] Finding undocumented opcodes

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Aug 5 23:54:55 EDT 2017

On Sat, 5 Aug 2017, Bob Wilson wrote:

> With all the apparently random opcodes I saw generated, on different
> processors, by students in my CS classes and by the programmers I
> managed in industry, it is hard to believe there can be many (on those
> processors) that have not already beet tested!

The classic undocumented instruction set would have to be that of the
Z-80, as in e.g. http://www.z80.info/z80undoc.htm.  I can't believe that
people went to so much trouble to explore every bit pattern!

But speaking of weird opcodes, there is the "population count" instruction
on the CDC series; it counted the number of "1" bits in a (60-bit) word,
and was known as the "NSA Instruction" (at first glance, it appeared to
have no use at all, but Seymour Cray wouldn't have included it for no
reason).