[Cryptography] Escrowing keys

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Apr 29 21:08:47 EDT 2017

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017, Salz, Rich via cryptography wrote:

> > But no hardware can really be trusted beyond a ten year service life.
>
> The average age of US cars on the road is 11.4 years. Major appliances
> (furnace, 16-20), refrigerator (14-17), hot water heater (12-14).
> Elevators, 20 years.

My CRT TV set is easily 15+ years old; why replace it?  The server I am
using right now is a Compaq Evo, likely 15 years old and going strong
(the disk was made on 4th Oct 2002, with no errors).  Its attached printer
is an Epson DP-100; they came with the CP/M Microbee, which was popular in
Australia in the 80s (the 'Bee still works too, as does its amber-screen
monitor).  The LCD monitor for said ancient server was manufactured in Sep
2005; I bought it from the Salvation Army for $10.  monster CRT monitor
that it replaced (and I still have it as a spare) was made in Sep 2002.

My MacBook says it's a late 2009 model, so is a mere youngster (the only
replacement was a battery - used, of course).

What was the OP saying again?

> What's your target market?

Exactly...