[Cryptography] Nonprofits and security.

Eric Tully eric at tully.com
Wed Apr 26 13:34:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017, at 10:09 PM, Tom Mitchell wrote:
> Nonprofits are beginning to be aware of security in a public way.

<snip>

> The Ford Guide has a nice info box that more should take to heart.
> "Are you currently considering a proposal for digital security tools
> or training? If so, this is not the document for you. Evaluating a
> proposal that supports the development of digital security tools
> requires substantial technical expertise. It is therefore best
> practice to get an expert assessment from an information security
> professional. Seeking the advice of your organization’s chief
> technology officer or someone in a similar position is often a good
> place to start. More information about digital security trainings is
> available in section three of this guide."

Nonprofit Consumer Reports announced last month the most sophisticated
security educational  initiative I've seen targeted a the general
public.  Aims to be a meaningful standard to measure real security
characteristics.

http://www.consumerreports.org/media-room/press-releases/2017/03/consumer_reports_launches_digital_standard_to_safeguard_consumers_security_and_privacy_in_complex_marketplace/

https://www.thedigitalstandard.org/the-standard

And it has a very open community feel to it.
https://www.thedigitalstandard.org/contribute

- Eric Tully