[Cryptography] Key escrow scheme

Harlan Lieberman-Berg hlieberman at setec.io
Sat Apr 8 14:01:26 EDT 2017

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill at hallambaker.com> writes:
> Making such a scheme usable is somewhat tricky because we would want to
> make the shares used to secure the key to be as small as possible for
> convenience which indicates 128 bit work factor for the master key.

Why not simply use Shamir's Secret Sharing?  The security properties are
much stronger (SSS is information-theoretic secure such that a (k,n)
construction reveals no information with k-1 shares known.  The size is
fairly minimal too; IIRC, each share is no larger than the key itself
(thus, the total construction is n*bit size).

Sincerely,
--
Harlan Lieberman-Berg
~hlieberman