[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Tue Apr 4 18:54:57 EDT 2017

>> But installing a repeater would be against the very purpose of doing
>> insulation in the present context, isn't it?
>
> It would certainly complicate it.  You could try and get a zoning
> variance... but this is very much down into the weeds of "specific
> local regulations", if not "whatever you can convince the local fire
> inspector of".  It seems /highly/ likely to me that there are facilities
> in the US which have this kind of shielding in jurisdictions where local
> fire codes require a repeater, so there's clearly some solution.
The obvious solution would be a pair of transceivers, one inside the Faraday cage, one outside, connected to each other using a fiber optic link.  Perhaps challenging if you want shielding all the way up to the Terahertz range, but I'm sure it could be done.

There are tons of working spaces that are effectively Faraday cages, even if that's not what they were built for.  Things like simple warehouses build of sheet metal come to mind.  Repeaters are required to get any decent signal into and out of such spaces, and at the least need to connect to an external antenna.  Adding an amp on the antenna is common.  Using fiber instead requires more conversions but is hardly a big deal.
                                                        -- Jerry