[Cryptography] Tempest and limits on receiving

Bob Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 4 15:34:09 EDT 2017

Several posters seem to think that in the USA there are no restrictions
on just listening, e.g.
> In the US laws only prohibit active interference, not passive shielding.
Have you tried to buy a shortwave radio that covers all of the
frequencies from, say, 100MHz to 10GHz? There are quite a few receivers
that say they do that, until you look at the footnote saying that
reception of certain frequencies is disabled, because the disabled
frequencies are used by some cell 'phones. I admit I don't know where
the law might be, but something is certainly causing all those
manufacturers to remove that capability from their receivers. This
applies to units sold in the USA but built elsewhere as well as those
built here.

Since we don't have vans on the streets looking for radiation from
receivers (the way Britain for a long time enforced the requirement to
buy a radio receiving license), the easy way to enforce such a
restriction is to place it on all equipment made for sale. You could
presumably build your own receiver with whatever reception frequencies
and modes you wanted, and wait to see if any such restrictions are being
enforced in some other way.

(Note that I am specifically saying "receivers". Many of them are built
into "transceivers" that combine a receiver and a transmitter,
frequently designed for ham radio use, but the (a) limitation is on
reception and (b) if the company makes a separate receive-only device
for those frequencies, the same restriction will be included.)

Bob Wilson