[Cryptography] Regulations of Tempest protections of buildings

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 18:17:13 EDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:
>>      Buildings can be fitted using a special insulation procedure that
>> protects
>>      against tempest devices, but any company or individual in the US
>> who has
>>      this insulation must first obtain a license from the federal
>> Government.
>> -- MKShen

> Huh.  I know [of places] in the bay area that have meeting
> rooms with such shielding, and at least one public library.
> I assume there are at least hundreds more.

As there are many who might wish to utilize, and even create
more of, such publicly accessible spaces will you please...

a) List the full name, street address, and location within,
such as room number, that houses such a space.
b) The specifications to which such space was built,
and subsequently that it currently maintains adherence to.

Otherwise this is useless commentary.
Thanks.

> The idea that you'd need someone's permission to build something that
> doesn't attack anybody else or violate anyone else's rights is just
> plain weird.

True.

> Especially when you need it for just plain business purposes.  "Oh,
> look, our competitor is driving around with cars that scoop up traffic
> from wireless networks, and we already know that WEP is just plain
> broken.  Not having done this already is pretty irresponsible and could
> get us sued by our shareholders....."

Indeed.

> Or even, "Look, radio
> interference from lightning etc makes the power supplies in our server
> room wear out faster and in extreme cases could put other hardware at
> risk. We can save money on our hardware budget by shielding them...."
>
> I mean, seriously.  Just plain ordinary business purposes.

Yep. There is an open market for all these various capabilities indeed.