[Cryptography] Ada vs Rust vs safer C

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Thu Sep 22 16:38:51 EDT 2016

* John Denker:

> Probably the biggest issue is this:  Most developers don't care
> very much about reliability or security.  The motto of Silicon
> Valley is "ready, fire, aim".  That is, get /something/ out the
> door fast, and (maybe) tune it up later.

That's not really true for most language runtimes that see usage at
scale today.  In my experience, there is a concern for the long term.

It's just very difficult for security-related matters to compete with
other concerns: internal infrastructure improvements, better
diagnostics for programmers—or extremely mundane matters, like
increasing the number of search domains in the stub resolver so that
people can move off NIS more easily (and if you replace NIS with LDAP
and DNS over TLS, this could well be a practically relevant security
improvement).