[Cryptography] Ada vs Rust vs safer C

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Sep 17 12:40:07 EDT 2016

* John Denker:

> Another line of attack is to add /annotations/ to make static
> analysis more effective.

Are there any success stories for C one can actually look at?
(I know there are for SPARK.)

We have some very powerful tools, but my impression is that in order
to use them, I need to manually massage my source code and feed it to
the tool outside of the build process.  This may certainly give
important insights, but by its nature, it's just a snapshot (like a
source code audit, or a typical fuzzing effort).  What I want is
something that runs as part of the regular build process, just like a
test suite, and that narrows the set of available tools quite
significantly (and most have you deal with license management *yuck*).