[Cryptography] True RNG: elementary particle noise sensed with surprisingly simple electronics

Bob Wilson wilson at math.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 16 18:10:02 EDT 2016

> Paranoids and hobbyists can build their own and know that
> there is no backdoor.  Entrepreneurs can construct the
> circuits on acrylic boards and then cast more acrylic
> around them for durability, and people can inspect the
> fully transparent devices they built to make sure they
> used the same parts in the same arrangement as shown
> in the schematic.
Minor point: Any PCB of likely complexity will have more than two layers
of conductive traces. The topological difficulties of getting all the
"wires" to connect properly, without shorting to each other, in just one
or two planes (the front and back of the board) become terribly complex.
Related to  the "gas and water and power" graph that cannot be drawn in
2-D without lines crossing. So being able to see/photograph just the
front and back is not enough. Your plastic would have to be accessible
to that other topic we've got going, being able to read the inner pages
of a book from the outside.
Bob Wilson