[Cryptography] [Crypto-practicum] An historical document.

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Sun Sep 11 12:47:01 EDT 2016

On 09/11/2016 06:25 AM, Henry Baker wrote:

> If I have my dates correct, Turing was already in the U.S.
> in 1936, and was already becoming interested in codes.
>
> Now whether he heard about this possibility from the news,
> or whether he heard about this possibility from more private
> sources, or whether the idea went the other direction I
> don't know.
>
> But it is possible that Turing may have seen this news and
> taken it to heart.

I don't think that was very likely.  The whole point of
this memo was to make sure people *didn't* see this news
and take it to heart.

This is decades later and we're looking at declassified
documents.  This is not at all representative of what
someone on the ground reading the newspapers would have
seen.  At this late date we occupy a very privileged
viewpoint.

				Bear