[Cryptography] "Flip Feng Shui: Hammering a Needle in the Software Stack"

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Sep 6 00:51:16 EDT 2016

At 06:14 PM 9/5/2016, dj at deadhat.com wrote:
>> As layman I happen to know that there is a field in wireless
>> communications named "physical layer security" which attempts with,
>> among other means, certain ECCs to achieve information theoretic
>> security. Could the works there eventually be relevant in the present
>> context?
>
>I've worked on several security protocols, both wired and wireless that are widely used and each time they have been an add on to existing protocols, so there were lots of compromises.
>
>It seems each time that if they had decided to do security at the physical layer, it would have been more secure and easier since it would be easy to obfuscate the carried packet sizes, header contents and timing.
>
>So if you are contemplating making a new mass market protocol with a physical layer, please include the security protocol people in the physical layer design.

Could you please provide links to any articles about the design of a modern, robust wireless physical layer that has resistance not only to eavesdropping, but also to intentionally malformed packets, etc. ?

I understand that typical wifi protocols are hopeless, but was curious about how one would design protocols that would be more robust.