[Cryptography] RNG design principles

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Wed Nov 30 18:32:30 EST 2016

FYI --

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/make-bad-decision/

http://audio.wnyc.org/freakonomics_podcast/freakonomics_podcast111616.mp3

How to Make a Bad Decision

November 16, 2016 @ 11:00pm
by Stephen J. Dubner

Toby Moskowitz is an economist at Yale.  Moskowitz plays tennis, where there’s plenty of opportunity for a rethink on the sequencing of shots:

If you're serving for instance, one of the best strategies is a ***randomized strategy***, like a pitcher should do in baseball.  And ***I'm not very good at being random***, just like most humans.  I'll say to myself, "Well, I hit the last couple down the middle.  Maybe I should go out wide on this one."  But that’s not really random.  What I should do is what some of the best pitchers in baseball do.  Rumor has it Greg Maddux used to do this, which is, recognizing that he is not very good at being random, he would use a cue in the stadium that was totally random.  For instance, are we in an even or an odd inning?  And is the time on the clock even or odd?  Some other cue that would just give him a sense of, "Well, I'll throw a fastball if the clock ends on an even number and the inning's even I'll throw a slider if it's an odd, I should say to myself, "If the score is if it's even or odd, whatever, if I count five blades of grass on the court as opposed to three."  Something tha
t's totally random and has nothing to do with it, allows me to supply that random strategy, which my brain is not very good at doing.  Most people’s brains are not.

----

So, is it unsportsmanlike and/or cheating to have access to a random oracle ?  If not, then perhaps players should be allowed a certified RNG/TRNG ?