[Cryptography] RNG design principles

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Nov 29 22:06:08 EST 2016

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 1:15 AM, Ralf Senderek <crypto at senderek.ie> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>

>> ...Imagine the Linux kernel would provide a new, special
>>> file structure

> The context in which I brought up this question was the idea
> of storing secret information in the file system

I have mixed opinions but there was a recent  device driver trick
that has the potential of protecting the MBR.

http://blog.talosintel.com/2016/10/mbrfilter.html

It might be possible to extend this model to the last blocks on
the disk.   Then use capabilities and device permissions
to this end.

A physical  hardware device can trigger a latch and disable the bits
once a region is accessed.   Old time BIOS systems had the
BIOS/ROM at zero and after initialization a latch was flipped and
the BOOT ROM was moved or made invisible.
Power-On will reset the latch but no software path could.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l