[Cryptography] randomness for libraries, e.g. OpenSSL

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Mon Nov 28 16:37:46 EST 2016

>> As a corollary:  We need to to inveigle the OS providers and
>> hardware providers to solve the problem.
> That.  Rather than spending energy on solving the problem in code, which is a really hard objective because of many factors, some of which are listed below, put the energy into Inveiglement....
Ahem.  Intel went and provided the hardware.  And if you read the messages here ... you shouldn't trust it.  So what's the next step?  (Audibility is a fine idea ... but how many people in the world have the knowledge, and access to the equipment, needed to check *the actual implementation on a state of the art chip*?)

BTW, if we agree on a standard protocol for an external "random source" ... who's to say the next Intel chips won't recognize that standard protocol and send the bits being generated off to some some server in Utah or Russia or China?

                                                        -- Jerry