[Cryptography] combining lots of lousy RNGs ... or not

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Tue Nov 22 23:52:52 EST 2016

On 11/22/2016 08:55 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> So the question is what do you get if calculate
>
> 	H(squish_NSA | squish_KGB | squish_MSS)
>
> Well, it's certainly not "random", in the formal information
> theoretical sense.  But from a _practical_ sense, if you assume that
> the NSA, KGB, and MSS will never collude and/or admit to each other
> that they introduced a NOBUS vulernabiliy into DUAL_EC, RDRAND, and a
> TPM module, it might be _practically_ random.

I disagree.  It's an invalid argument leading to an unsound
conclusion.

Among other flaws, the argument depends on the unstated assumption
that a backdoor installed by this-or-that agency cannot possibly
be exploited by anybody else (without the installer's consent).
All evidence indicates that this is not a safe assumption.
 -- The Clipper Chip story is widely known.
 -- The Snowden documents indicate that many of NSA's favorite
  entry points are backdoors installed by *somebody else*.
 -- Do you really think that opening the "TSA-Approved" lock on
  your suitcase would require "collusion" by a TSA agent?
 -- etc. etc. etc.

This is a very serious public-policy issue.  Cryptographers (e.g.
Matt Blaze) have been called to testify before Congress.  The
point is, when this-or-that agency says something is NOBUS, you
really, really must not assume it is actually NOBUS.

Please do not assume any such thing.  It's bad engineering and
bad public policy.