[Cryptography] Crypto and rustling

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Sat Nov 19 20:55:25 EST 2016

On 11/19/16 at 8:21 AM, kilcullenj at gmail.com (Joseph Kilcullen) wrote:

>If they are Friesian cattle then you can hire an artist to
>sketch drawings of the patchwork black and white pattern of
>each cow. Kinda like taking note of the brand that Mother
>Nature put on them. Its cryptography in the sense that each
>cow’s pattern is a ‘Physical unclonable function’. Once
>you take note of the pattern you simply authenticate any given
>cow against a register of owners. Though that sounds like a
>computer database which is not available in the 19th century. I
>guess the local sheriff could use a copybook of drawings of cattle?

Photographers were active toward the end of the 19th century. I
have seen my great grandfather's glass plate negatives from the
1885 era, which are now held at the Monadnock Center for History
and Culture. (We're outsourcing the care of the family heirlooms.)

I also know of a case where some antique furniture was recovered
because of photos of the grain patterns in the wood. These
photos were mid-twentieth century.

Cheers - Bill