[Cryptography] Crypto and rustling

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Nov 19 20:30:13 EST 2016

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> I've just started reading "Robbery Under Arms" (a story about
> cattle/horse/sheep rustling in Australia), and given the recent thread
> about how Enigma could be improved using only technology available at the
> time), a thought occurred to me:
>
> How would an owner design a brand that could not be altered,

http://www.tscrabrands.com/design-brand.html

This is a modestly well solved problem.

When the tech of the design fails it is defended in the law.
https://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/brands/wi_brand.htm

Barcodes and other tags including electronic tags support other bits of the
law.
"a mark required by law for official identification in disease control
programs."

An additional defense is the target alteration must be recorded
which makes tracking and prosecuting the bad guys easier.

https://www.instagram.com/p/6X4l5RzUMM/
http://www.lsirish.com/tutorials/woodcarving-tutorials/woodcarving-fundamentals-techniques/working-with-your-patterns/cattle-branding-layouts/
https://agriculture.az.gov/livestock-brands

Interesting...
Web site impersonation is not nearly so well defended under the law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typosquatting
Perhaps it should.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l