[Cryptography] Crypto and rustling

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Nov 18 16:14:06 EST 2016

I've just started reading "Robbery Under Arms" (a story about
cattle/horse/sheep rustling in Australia), and given the recent thread
about how Enigma could be improved using only technology available at the
time), a thought occurred to me:

How would an owner design a brand that could not be altered, and how could
a rustler get around it?  For example, the owner would not use a single
letter (a circle for example could be branded around it), and would not
use letters that could be altered (such as F -> E, L -> E, O -> Q, T -> I,
etc), whereas a rustler would have to find a compliant blacksmith.

In crypto terms, it should be infeasible to turn one brand into another.