[Cryptography] October 28th is now National Cryptography Day

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Mon Nov 14 16:22:27 EST 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2016-11-14 09:30:59 -0500 (-0500), Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > There can be an international cryptography day as well. Preferably
> > in the summer.
> [...]
>
> I can't tell if this was meant to be sarcastic, or legitimately
> ignoring that one half the globe simultaneously observes opposite
> seasons from the other half. As it made me chuckle, I'm inclined to
> assume the former. ;)
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

​While there are seasons in southern hemisphere, Jo-berg​

​is on ​the Southern equivalent of the latitude of Miami. I was in Buenos
Aires during the winter there this year and it was rather nicer for
purposes of holding a demonstration than a Boston summer. It is closer to
the equator than Washington D.C.

​The point of holding a national cryptography day in the US would be to
protest Comey's attempts to ban the use of crypto. So holding it on the day
he abused his office to interfere with an election is a very effective way
to bring home the importance to journalists covering the events. ​

​Holding it on the day of Pearl harbor etc. would not have the same media
impact, it allows the opponents of using strong crypto off the hook.​